36 cm 253 cm
55 cm 393 cm
2 cm 13 cm
- Architectural capriccio 
- Figures of Saints 
- Still life 
- Marine landscape 
- Landscape with Architecture 
- Landscape with Figures 
- Portrait / Face 
- Biblical scene 
- Scene with Figures 
- Scenes from an epic poem 
- Genre scenes 
- Allegorical / Mythological Subject 
- Sacred subject 
- Historical subject 
- City views / glimpses 
In our catalog you can find Objects and Works of Art from the 16th century to the present day.
Ancient art, icons, contemporary art, ancient painting, 19th and 20th century art ; this section is our "Gallery"
Do you have similar works of art to sell? Contact us!
Jacob Receives Joseph's Bloody Tunic
Jacob Receives Joseph's Bloody Tunic
Oil painting on canvas. Venetian school of the eighteenth century. The painting depicts the biblical episode taken from the book of Genesis, in which Joseph\'s brothers, jealous of their father Jacob\'s predilection for him, sell him a slave to merchants who go to Egypt and declare to their father that he is dead: they wear on trial the tunic soiled with the blood of an animal, that special tunic that Jacob had made specially weave for his beloved son. In this representation, in which the vivid colors underline the drama, the intense movement of the old patriarch stands out, who, disfigured in pain in the face, tries to keep that stained fabric away from himself, moving his whole body to the left and extending his arm. not to allow her to approach him, almost an attempt to deny the evidence. On the right, the group of three brothers, close together in an accomplice attitude, who tell and point to each other the paternal drama. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a re-adapted antique frame.
The painting represents Clelia crossing the Tiber. Clelia was a Roman heroine, who was given as a hostage, together with other girls, to the Etruscan king Porsenna during the peace negotiations with the city; he managed to escape, however, by swimming across the Tiber. Porsenna asked the Romans to return it, who agreed, but admired by her heroism, he decided to free her by allowing her to take other prisoners with her, whom Clelia chose from among the youngest. The moment of the representation is precisely that of the crossing of the river, of which there is the personification in the foreground on the right, with an elderly gray-haired man, accompanied by a young woman with a cornucopia. The scene is very dynamic, with Clelia and the other girls who create a large and lively group, together with the horse ridden by the protagonist, as some versions of the story recall; behind them the tents of the Etruscan king's camp with some soldiers. On the other side of the river there is another group of women, the crossing already completed, while in the background you can see the expanse with the Capitoline city with a classic face. The work, as evidenced by a small scroll, is attributed to Domenico Lupini, an artist about whom not much is known but whose scope of activity between Bergamo and Venice can be hypothesized. The only two signed works are a "converted Magdalene" and an "Annunciation", but other works have been attributed to him by the scholar Federica Nurchis and placed in the monastery of Santa Chiara in Bergamo. These paintings present a warm and refined chromatism which, together with the elegance of the characters and the compositional modality, suggest a Venetian stay by Lucini, which seems to recall the atmospheres of Tintoretto, Veronese and Palma il Giovane. Presented in a 17th century gilded frame, restored and relined.
Oil on canvas. In the large scene set outside, the laboratory of a blacksmith stands out on the left side, who is intent to work on horseshoes with his helpers while the owner of the horse attends; in the centre, other knights arrive with their servants who are headed to the craftsman; on the right some popular figures are resting on the roadside. In the background, a large river landscape opens up on the right, while on the left there is the access to the village, dominated by a dilapidated building, with various popular figures intent on their activities: the woman who is about to breastfeed a child, while the other son runs away up the staircase, another woman hanging the clothes on the balcony of the house built on stilts on the rock, while a man climbs the ladder. It probably is a piece by a Flemish author working in Lombardy. Some references to clothing and construction certainly indicate the Northern European contamination, while other details indicate it was realized in a Lombard location. The painting comes from a prestigious historical residence of a Lombard noble family Still on the first canvas, it has some cuts and a hole in the lower band; some patches on the back from an old restoration. It is presented in a thin coeval frame.
Oil on canvas. The large scene is set at the entrance of a village near a stop for horses: numerous horsemen are standing with their animals, which are looked after by the servants and the peasants who fill the manger with hay; one of the servants, on the right, lets the animals drink in the nearby stream. In the background, the houses of the village arranged along the river, which then flows into the hilly landscape on the right. It probably is a piece by a Flemish author working in Lombardy. Some references to clothing and construction certainly indicate the Northern European contamination, while other details indicate it was realized in a Lombard location. The painting comes from a prestigious historical residence of a Lombard noble family Still on the first canvas, it has some cuts in the lower band. It is presented in a thin coeval frame.
Madonna with Child the Father Angels and Saints
Madonna with Child the Father Angels and Saints
Oil on canvas. Tuscan school of the late 1500s - early 1600s. The canvas is part of a large sacred production, which exalted the glory of Mary and the saints close to the client. In the center, Mary sits on a throne with her little son in her arms, while above, from the open skies, the Eternal Father blesses her, with the terrestrial globe in her hands, a symbol of her power over the world; He is flanked by two angels. On either side of the throne there are two Saints: on the left, San Domenico di Guzman, dressed in the habit of a Dominican and holding a lily and a book in his hands; on the right, in his characteristic habit, Saint Francis of Assisi, holding the cross in the shape of a Tau and a book, and on whose hands the signs of the stigmata can be seen. The whole scene is characterized by the static nature of the figures still typical of the Renaissance period, by bright colors and by composed and delicate features of the faces. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in an antique frame.
The model derives from an engraving by Marcantonio Raimondi based on a drawing by Raphael, specially made for the graphic work, deriving from a painting placed in the Stanza della Segnatura (1513-1515). This model was taken up and changed by Hans von Aachen in a canvas dated 1588 and today preserved at the Museum of the Charterhouse of Douai, in turn taken up in an engraving of the following year by Raphael Sadeler, in the Cabinet of Drawings and Prints of the 'Carrara Academy of Bergamo. The canvas in question is derived from this last version, which shows the same changes made with respect to the Raphaelesque original. At the center of the scene, which takes place immersed in a natural landscape, are the three goddesses who competed for the title of the most beautiful: Juno with the peacock, her symbolic animal, Venus accompanied by Cupid and Minerva next to which are the helmet, spear and shield. Paris, from behind, is giving the golden apple that decrees the winner to the goddess of love, under the gaze of Judge Mercury. Two cherubs flit around the protagonists, while in the foreground, always from behind, there is a male figure. A country boarding school is taking place on the back lawn. The work, as evidenced by a small scroll, is attributed to Domenico Lupini, an artist about whom not much is known but for whom it is possible to hypothesize the scope of his activity between Bergamo and Venice. The only two signed works are a "converted Magdalene" and an "Annunciation", but other works have been attributed to him by the scholar Federica Nurchis and placed in the monastery of Santa Chiara in Bergamo. These paintings present a warm and refined chromatism which, together with the elegance of the characters and the compositional modality, suggest a Venetian stay by Lucini, which seems to recall the atmospheres of Tintoretto, Veronese and Palma il Giovane. Presented in a 17th century gilded frame, restored and relined.
The Tale of Apollo and Marsyas
The Tale of Apollo and Marsyas
Oil painting on canvas. Northern Italian school of the seventeenth century. The large canvas derives from an engraving of 1562 by the Venetian Giulio Sanuto, who faithfully reproduced the homonymous work by Bronzino (1503-1572), currently preserved in the Hermitage; compared to the original, the engraving added the group of Muses and modified the landscape background by introducing views of the villages. The work is divided into four scenes, which must be read from right to left. The first scene depicts the musical contest between Apollo and the Silenus Marsyas, who played the flute so well that he was considered superior to the same god; the two contenders are performing, the god with the lyre and the silenus with the flute even upside down (to increase the difficulty of the undertaking), in front of King Midas and the goddess Minerva, recognizable by her attributes, the helmet, the spear and the shield. In the second scene Apollo is intent on skinning Marsyas, to punish him for having won the musical contest; lean on the ground next to him, his cloak and lyre. In the third scene, it is King Midas who is punished by the god for having preferred Marsyas to him: Apollo is putting the donkey's ears on Midas, while Minerva is watching. Finally, the fourth scene, in the foreground on the left, is characterized by a particular figure, identified in the faithful servant and barber of the king: since Midas had ordered him to keep the secret on his donkey ears, not being able to let off steam otherwise, he dug a hole in the ground and yelled into there his secret; in that place, however, legend has it that a bush of reeds grew that with the wind whispered "King midas has donkey ears", thus revealing the dreaded secret. The painting has been previously restored and relined, but currently needs any further color recovery. On the back in pencil there is an old attribution to the Ferrara school ("Ercole da Ferrara"). It is presented in a late 19th century style frame.
Aaron with Moses before the Pharaoh
Aaron with Moses before the Pharaoh
Oil on canvas. XVII-XVIII century. The great scene tells a biblical episode from the book of Exodus, in which Aaron with Moses before the Pharaoh of Egypt, transforms his staff into a snake, to emulate the tricks that the Egyptian magicians had done to frighten them. The Pharaoh seated on his throne on the left, surrounded by servants, and the magicians on the right, observe the miracle in consternation and fright, while in the center Aaron, recognizable by the priestly headdress, indicates the event while at his side Moses, with the raised finger indicates heaven, to send the miracle back to divine power. The snake here has the shape of a winged dragon, which is trampling the snakes of the Egyptian magi. The typology of the scene and the pictorial modes refer to the production of Antonio Molinari (1655 -1734), one of the most authoritative representatives of Venetian painting at the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, who distinguished himself for his personal style, characterized by an accentuated theatricality of gestures , from a lively palette and a remarkable fluidity of the brushstroke. Molinari achieved considerable success with the production of room paintings depicting episodes of a historical, mythological or biblical nature, which were widely taken up and re-proposed. The large canvas, restored and relined, is presented in a style frame.
Oil painting on canvas. Lombard area of the late 18th century. The four canvases show scenes from Orlando Furioso, the famous epic poem written by Ludovico Ariosto and published for the first time in 1516. On the frame, on the back, there are handwritten writings in ancient Italian, which say the title of the scene and they give the reference of the song and the verse. All four scenes represent episodes taken from the first two songs of the poem and appear to be sequential. The attributive titles are as follows: 1- “This painting represents that Paladin galiardo (Rinaldo) son of Amone sig. di Monte Albano, which describes Ariosto in canto 1 to verse 12 ”: depicts the moment in which Rinaldo, on foot of his horse Baiardo, sees Angelica escaped from the camp of Namo di Baviera in the wood. 2- "This painting represents Angelica and Ferraù when she comes to their aid, which Ariosto describes in canto 1 verse 14": Angelica fleeing from Rinaldo, meets in the woods Ferraù, a noble Saracen knight who is also in love with the girl, who helps to escape by opposing the Christian knight. 3- “This painting represents Rinaldo and Sacripante who fall down, Angelica runs away from their fury. Ariosto describes it in Canto 2 verse 10 ": Rinaldo and Sacripante fight to compete for the love of Angelica, who in the meantime runs away. 4- “This painting represents Rinaldo and Sacripante in the act they fell for Angelica and were stopped by a spirit in the form of a Valletto. Ariosto describes it in canto 2 verse 15 ": while the two knights fight, Angelica meets a hermit, who, with a spell, evokes a spirit with the appearance of a footman, who interrupts the duel between the two contenders. The paintings therefore belong to a single pictorial cycle, attributable to the end of the eighteenth century and which, in accordance with the neoclassical taste, represents the characters in classical clothes - warriors dressed as ancient soldiers, Angelica dressed in a Roman tunic, shoes and bracelet - , but inserted in a landscape of Northern Italy, a shady and dense forest. The Orlando Furioso had the peculiarity of proposing the warlike theme associated with the love one (in particular the love story between Angelica and Medoro was preferred, which became the subject of numerous works by artists of all centuries) and obtained great popularity and success: His representations were numerous in all ranges of visual pictorial art, in stately frescoes, paintings, ceramics, even apothecary jars, cups, medals, pendulums, candelabra. It began in the Emilian land, the homeland of the poem created by Ariosto for Cardinal Ludovico D'Este, to arrive at the Medici courts, in Lombardy, where subsequently Ariosto's pictorial cycles were carried out in numerous palaces and stately homes. The canvases are presented in gilded style frames.
Landscape with Architecture and Figures
Landscape with Architecture and Figures
Oil on canvas. The large landscape is dominated by an imposing architectural structure with columns overlooking the sea, which occupies the entire central part of the canvas, while a fortress is outlined on the right. The scene is then animated by numerous figures of commoners intent on daily activities: in the foreground on the left, on the quay, a group of men awaits the load of numerous crates and trunks. The monogram D.G. This abbreviation, together with the baroque stylistic modality, refers to the attribution to Domenico Gargiulo, stage name of the Neapolitan painter Micco Spadaro (1609/1612 - 1675). Active mainly in Naples, especially in the two decades between the mid-seventeenth century, the Gargiulo established itself mainly as a landscape painter and above all for having documented the tumultuous events of Naples in the seventeenth century (eruptions, epidemics, the revolt of Masaniello). The progressive specialization in the representation of landscapes or city scenes, crowded with figurines presented with minute descriptions and with attention to popular social reality, meant that his commission was mainly of a private nature, receiving commissions from numerous Neapolitan notables, regents, knights and finding his works in all the most important Neapolitan collections of the time. Among its major clients there was also the great Flemish collector Gaspare Roomer, to whom the Gargiulo owed its fortune. Gargiulo often inserted his abbreviations in his works, but rarely dated them; it was possible to establish the dating of his production only thanks to the realization of a series of works for the monks of the Certosa di S. Martino, which took place between 1638 and 1646, among the few religious works he made but the only ones in be documented with some accuracy. The large canvas proposed here is presented in a stylish frame.
Oil on canvas. Nazario and Celso were two Christian martyrs, who died in Milan in 304 a.C., veneered both by the Catholic and the Orthodox Church, who travelled through Italy as evangelisers, and were persecuted by Romans. According to the tradition, the two young men were condemned to die and put on a ship that was supposed to take them offshore, where they would have been thrown overboard. The legend narrates that, once they had been thrown overboard, they started walking on water. There was a storm which terrorised the sailors, who asked Nazario for help. The waters got calm immediately. In the end, the ship landed in Genua, where Nazario and Celso continued their evangelising work, in all the Liguria region and pushing even to Milan, where they were arrested again and sentenced to death a second time. The painting is in its first canvas and has never been restored, it needs some cleaning up but it is in good condition (micro paint losses). It is presented in a coeval frame, with defects.
Oil on canvas. A large architectural structure, imposing in its classicism, with tall twisted columns and elaborate Corinthian-style capitals, dominates a gentle and nuanced lake landscape, which teems with the daily activity of small figures of wayfarers, fishermen, and commoners, well described in their peculiarity. The painting is close to the manners of Viviano Codazzi (1604 -1670) to which it was traditionally attributed. Originally from Bergamo but then active in Rome and Naples, Codazzi was a famous painter of perspectives, considered by many to be the inventor of the view and of the architectural whim. Also close to the Bamboccianti genre, he distinguished himself for the descriptive care of the various protagonists, their gestures, their clothing, care indicating a vision and a study from life of everyday life, read and interpreted without literary filters but with marked naturalism. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a coeval frame.
"L'arc en ciel" XVII Century
"L'arc en ciel" XVII Century
Oil painting on canvas. Northern European school of the seventeenth century. The large pastoral scene presents a broad landscape that pushes the gaze to the distant sea coast; on it the sky is gradually opening up, revealing flashes of blue on the left, while on the right, among the darker clouds left over from the storm, a large rainbow is revealed. In the foreground, a group of shepherds and shepherdesses enjoy amorous games, discrete and festive, in the midst of their herds, which rest and drink from the nearby stream. The whole scene is animated by a dimension of joyful relaxation and refreshment, as if the rainbow had restored serenity to the environment, bringing light and with it serenity to the world. The attribution to Jordaens is linked both to the typology of subject, the pastoral one, a recurring theme in the production of the Flemish artist, and to the pictorial modalities: in this work we find his warm and luminous colours, the strong contrasts of light and shadow, the robust figures with red and healthy faces, sometimes with satyristic features, the compositions full of figures that give an air of sensual vitality. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a period gilded frame.
Oil on canvas. As signed by the label on the back, the painting was presented athe "Venetian Baroque Painting Exhibition" of 1943, with the title "in porto al tramonto" and the attribution to Marco Ricci. This attribution can be motivated by the executive ability, which through rapid and loose brushstrokes. It manages to fully render the natural reality of the stormy sea with sensivity. In this regard, see the similar images published by Rodolfo Pallucchini in the studies "Studi ricceschi: contributo a Marco published in the magazine Arte veneta (vol. IX, 1955). Ricci's landscape and marine productions (which, however, were not his most extensive production) are characterized by powerful and emotional lights, by dry and twisted trees, rocks and towers, cumulus clouds that suddenly break open in vague flashes of blue, foaming waves, a complex repertoire that transfigures nature into a dramatic and restless representation, in which man is also inserted as an integral element. Also in this painting we find these highly dramatic but at the same time scenographic elements, with some human figures, three men on a small boat in the foreground, who are barely distinguishable from the sea and the rocks that surround them, as well as the ship on the left sinking engulfed by the sea. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a period frame.
Oil painting on canvas. Tuscan school of the seventeenth century. Scion of an ancient Longobard lineage of Aquino (in the province of Frosinone), Thomas (born around 1226) went to Naples to study, in 1243 he entered the order of Dominican preachers against the wishes of his relatives, but during the journey to the northerner was arrested by his brothers and held prisoner for about a year. In the scene, the young saint in the centre, already dressed in the Dominican habit, is surrounded on both sides by four richly dressed figures, precisely his relatives, probably including his mother, who hold him kindly, almost embracing him, while with gestures of the hands and the afflicted and loving looks try to convince him, almost begging him. The figures are also placed in a prison, as indicated by the bars in the window on the right, to underline the coercive action performed. Rich and detailed are the details of the clothes of the characters, with bright colors that contrast with Thomas' dress, plastic movements properly in Baroque taste. Already restored and relined, the painting is in good condition, with evident cracking. It is presented in an antique re-lacquered and re-gilded frame.
Oil on canvas. The painting is set in the woods near some architectural ruins and the focus is on the lively group of hunters dressed like knights and armed with swords and lances. They are delivering the final blow to the already wounded and dying deer with the help of dogs. The large format highlights the important commissioner. Restored and relined, it is presented in revival frame. 18th century.
Classical Landscape with 17th century figures
Classical Landscape with 17th century figures
Oil painting on canvas. In a large green landscape where a river flows, a village emerges in the center; in the foreground on the right, on the path there is a group of women, dressed in colored tunics. the painting takes up the pictorial modalities of Gaspard Dughet, the Roman painter trained at the school of Poussin, who devoted himself mainly to landscape production, with a new freedom and a fresh naturalness aimed at discovering a real and magical at the same time, pagan Nature. free and wild. In Dughet's production the human figures were never dominant, absent in the early production and then introduced only at the request of the clientele, coming to adopt a particular type of figures without major changes throughout his career: elegant figures, with a loose bearing, dressed of a short, vaguely ancient tunic, usually anonymous and belonging to the people. Such traits are found in this work, even if the attribution to Dughet is uncertain, and it is thought rather to place it in his circle. Restored and relined, the painting is presented in a period frame.
Oil on canvas. North Italian School. Inserted in a late Renaissance landscape, the composition of the figures is arranged according to an ascending diagonal towards the left and more precisely culminating with the three crosses on Calvary in the distance; the body of Christ is in the middle, lying, albeit also obliquely, behind him there are three figures: St. John, Mary in the centre, and a pious woman, the only one depicted in seventeenth-century clothes- probably a portrait of a person close to the client. The piece can be placed in the Lombard-Venetian cultural production of the first half of the 16th century, more precisely in the pictorial activity that flourished between Brescia, Garda and Verona, which found its maximum expression in the mannerist ways of Giovanni Demio (1500-1570 ca). In particular, some elements are found in the piece, especially in the shapes of clothing and poses (for example of Saint John), which refer to models of Raphaelesque mold that were widely used, thanks to the mediation of engravers such as Marcantonio Raimondi (1480 -1534 ca ), who contributed to the distribution of the pieces of the masters. The painting, restored and relined, has extensive renovations. It is presented in an antique frame, that can be dated around the 17th century, repainted.
Oil on canvas. Lombard school. The rich lady portrayed is accompanied by the identifying inscription at the top right which reads "Eleonora Lampuniana Nupta N.V. Bartolomei De Cornu 1478": it is therefore Eleonora Lampugnani wife of Bartolomeo Del Corno. The Lampugnani family is an ancient patrician family of Milan (the name derives from the Lampugnano neighbourhood), with residences in Legnano and Busto Arsizio, and to which Filippo Maria Visconti (Duke of Milan) assigned the fief of Trecate in the fifteenth century; the noblewoman's husband belonged to the noble Piedmontese Corno family (originally called Del Corno). The noblewoman is portrayed standing, in a splendid richly embroidered dress, embellished with lace; she lays her hand on a precious box inlaid with ivory, probably a coin cabinet, a symbol of wealth and power, surmounted by a vase with flowers, a symbol of vanity. The painting has an ancient restoration on the hands, which are of lower quality than the face, the clothes, the glass jar. The painting comes from an antique Lombard collection. The date 1478, reported in the inscription, is not very consistent with the sixteenth-century clothing: according to the story of the family of origin of the painting, the date that appeared before the last restoration was 1578, and therefore it would be a modification mistakenly made by the restorer.
Oil on canvas. North-European School. This is a funny allegorical scene of profane love, that wants to prove how everyone, of any social class and every age, can fall into the trap of falling in love. The background of the canvas is occupied by an enormous keepnet, the basket net used in some kinds of fishing, above its opening sits a putto playing the violin; the keepnet is crowded with couples, while a parade of other couples walks in front of them to reach the entrance. Between them, there are couples of old and young people, rich and poor people, nobles, bourgeois and proletarians. Everyone has a content and light expression, they share looks of love or they benevolently look at the happiness of the others. Inside the keepnet, there is even a couple of royals, that correspond, for their features and clothing, to the Elector Palatine of Rhineland, John William of the Palatinate-Neuburg and his second wife Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici. On the back of the painting, there is a label bearing a historical attribution to Jan Frans Douven (1656-1727), the Dutch artist who moved to Düsseldorf in 1682 as the official painter at the Court of the Elector Palatine of Rhineland, mostly representing scenes of the daily life of the prince and his second wife. The label would confirm the scope of the attribution to an artist of the 17th-18th century in Northern Europe. The painting comes from a historical collection in Milan. It shows some traces of restorations and a patch. Frame in style.